How many times have you gotten into your car and decided suddenly to go on a trip across the country? No plan, no money, no map, no packing. Just turn the key and go. It wouldn’t be surprising to find yourself heading down the wrong roads, running out of gas, and getting frustrated not far into your trip. It won’t take long to decide to call it quits. What you need to have a successful journey is a plan first, a vision, just as you do for any goal you want to achieve.
Vision without action is merely a dream. Action without vision just passes the time. Vision with action can change the world. – Joel A. Barker
It is easy to pick a goal and write it down, but without focusing on a vision of success there is no momentum to achieve that goal. If you want to take your business somewhere, then you must have a plan. What is your ultimate vision for the business? For your employees? For your family? Once you have a clear vision of what it is you want to achieve, then you can begin to craft the best way to bring it to life.
- Write down the goals that you want to achieve. All of them, big and small. You can edit the list later, but for now put it all out there.
- Together with your team, pinpoint all of your strengths. This is where you will build your foundation.
- Identify the weaknesses. Where do you see a need for improvement? Work on plans for resolving those weak spots so that you can move forward easier.
- Determine what the biggest dream is for the company. Where do you see it in five years, ten years, twenty?
- Take time to create or recreate your vision statement for the company. This is not where you think about the how, just the what. What does your company want to achieve? Set a deadline for creating your vision statement. Remember: Vision statements are fluid. They change shape over time as you achieve goals and create new ones for your company.
A vision statement is not the same as your company’s mission statement. The mission statement is about the operational commitment of your company. The vision statement is something that your company aspires to achieve and includes something you can measure. For example, “We want to make eating organic more affordable, and when we do our sales will grow by 15%!”
If you craft a vision for your company, you will set a clearer path for achieving your goals. It is the shaping of a vision that makes success more easily attainable for your business and inspires the people who come together to make it happen.
If you like reading this blog, please sign up for the newsletter too!